- Botanical name: Marjorana Hortensis
Odor: Spicy, Herbaceous
Color: Pale yellow (to yellow)
- Egypt produces: 8-13 T/yr
- Produced mainly in Fayoum and Menya
- Production Method: By steam distillation from the leaves and flowering tops of the the marjoram plant.
- Uses: Mainly used as a culinary herb, and occasionally in perfumery to introduce a fresh aromatic touch.
- The Marjoram oil has therapeutic properties (analgesic, hypotensive , anti-spasmodic, digestive, stomachic, bactericidal, etc.)